TV Producer Dies After E-Cigarette Explodes & Burns 80% Of His Body

Experts said e-cigarettes should be used to help stop people smoking

Image More than 195 electronic cigarettes exploded or caught fire between 2009 and 2016

Tallmadge Wakeman D'Elia died on Cinco de Mayo in St. Petersburg after his vape pen burst into flames in his bedroom.

D'Elia's obituary said he was a television producer and recently moved to Florida with his wife, Maria Lamberti. Officials are ruling the death an accident, but that's hardly comforting for D'Elia's friends and family. The autopsy results from the medical examiner of Pinellas County reveal that his e-cigarette made a "projectile wound" in his skull as well as started the fire.

The projectile was from a section of an e-cigarette.

Manufacturer of the vape pen was Smok-E Mountain and is was a "mod" type, said he autopsy report.

More than one in every 10 adults has tried an e-cigarette even just one time, according to the CDC. Many electronic cigarettes look like regular cigarettes, but some owners like to use larger devices such as tank systems or "mods".

According to FEMA, the 38-year-old's death is the first in the U.S. to be caused by an e-cigarette.

Many former smokers have taken to vaping as an alternative to cigarettes, believing the vaporized juice to be safer than burning tobacco.

Tesla driver says she slammed into fire truck on Autopilot
Over the past two months, federal officials have opened investigations into at least two other crashes involving Tesla vehicles. The 28-year-old driver has admitted to police that she was looking at her phone when she crashed, the Daily Mail reports .

The report blamed the incidents on the prevalence of lithium-ion batteries in the products.

The argument over whether or not electronic cigarettes are unsafe just took a weird turn.

A U.S. Fire Administration report from 2016 counts 195 incidents stemming from e-cigarettes exploding or catching on fire from 2009 to 2016.

According to TMJ4, authorities began investigating the circumstances surrounding the Florida man's death after he was found dead in his home. He suffered third-degree burns.

According to FEMA, the 38-year-old's death is the first in the United States of America to be caused by a vaping pen. Treatment for chemical and thermal burns from e-cigarette explosions can lead to months or even years of painful treatment, and in some cases require bone grafts, skin grafts, and other reconstructive surgery.

"We've put the caution out before", Kiklas said.

Weeks said that a lot of people are switching from smoking to vaping, because vaping does less harm to the body. The company's explanation is that there must have been an issue with the atomizer or the battery.

Latest News