Police said suspect in newsroom shooting was 'no threat' in 2013

Annapolis Maryland. At least five people were killed Thursday when a gunman opened fire inside the offices of the Cap

Alex Wroblewski Getty Images 888 Westgate Road home to the Capital Gazette newsroom where a shooting took place

This photo combination shows the victims of the shooting in the newsroom of the Capital Gazette in Annapolis, Md., on Thursday, June 28, 2018. Police Chief Timothy Altomare also said at a news conference Friday that it is "absolutely untrue" that suspect Jarrod W. Ramos mutilated his fingertips.

Ramos was perturbed by an article the paper published in 2011 that detailed he stalked and harassed a woman for more than a year, according to court records reviewed by Newsweek. Trump, who has repeatedly denounced the press as "the enemy of the American people", says journalists "should be free from the fear of being violently attacked" while doing their jobs.

Jarrod Ramos, 38, was not cooperating with investigators, authorities said, and did not speak as he appeared by video link from a detention facility for a brief court hearing at Anne Arundel County criminal court.

Marquardt told the Baltimore Sun he called police in 2013.

The police chief said newspaper at the time didn't want to press charges for fear that would "exacerbate an already flammable situation".

Police said a gunman with an ongoing dispute with The Capital opened fire in the newspaper's offices.

"The governor and the mayor have said that "they went in without hesitating and they exhibited tremendous courage" without this, it is nearly certain that there would have been several more lives lost or more people injured", said Kristen Fisher from Fox News.

The Capital newspaper, part of the Gazette group, published an edition on Friday with photographs of each of the victims and a headline "5 shot dead at The Capital" on its front page.

Naseem Miller covered the 2016 Pulse Nightclub shooting as a reporter at the Orlando Sentinel, and the food and gifts from other journalists kept the newsroom going while covering the tragedy, she said.

Police earlier told reporters the accused, Jarrod Ramos, was not co-operating with the investigation.

Doug Ford sworn in as Ontario's new premier
Only one, however, is a visible minority - Raymond Cho , who was sworn in as the Minister for Seniors and Accessibility. Peter Bethlenfalvy , of Pickering-Uxbridge, will be watching the pennies as President of Treasury Board.

Ms Miller added: "Says she warned former police official years ago "he will be your next mass shooter". Ramos appealed at least two of the three peace orders filed against him. Journalists crawled under desks and sought other hiding places, describing agonizing minutes of terror as they heard the gunman's footsteps and the repeated blasts of the weapon. They recovered a gun and said he also carried smoke grenades.

"We honor the dedicated journalists of our hometown newspaper in our state's capital", Hogan said in a statement.

Those killed included Rob Hiaasen, 59, the paper's assistant managing editor and brother of novelist Carl Hiaasen. Media reports identified the other deceased as Capital Gazette employees Wendi Winters, Rebecca Smith, Gerald Fischman and John McNamara.

Gunn, the former Capital Gazette editor, said Rob Hiaasen was a "gifted editor who had an aura of an artist around him who made people want to make journalism a attractive craft".

"He was as angry an individual as I have ever seen", said lawyer Brennan McCarthy.

He is reported to have stopped firing when the police came in and hid. I'm not trying to make this political, right?

"Everything was always about Rileigh and making her happy and spending as much time as possible with her", she said. Sources close to the story confirm that Ramos threatened the publication's staff in social media.

"It's a awful day and probably the saddest day in Annapolis since I can remember", said Annapolis Mayor Gavin Buckley.

The Capital Gazette's website directory lists 55 newsroom and business-side employees. The city announced on social media Friday that the vigil would begin at 8 p.m.at a public square near the Capitol, followed by a march to a dock for a service by the water.

Hiaasen was a reporter for the Baltimore Sun for more than 20 years.

Latest News