Teenager rescued after 49 days adrift in Pacific on fishing raft

Teen Stranded at Sea for 49 Days Turns to the Bible and Prayer to Survive

Indonesian teen rescued after 49 days at sea on log raft

The Indonesian Consulate in Osaka, Japan, said the 18-year-old was rescued by a Panamanian-flagged vessel off Guam on August 31, about 1,200 miles (1,920 kilometers) from his original location, and returned to Indonesia with officials earlier this month.

Adilang said he lit a lamp on his raft every time he saw a passing ship - more than 10 times - but none responded, according to The Jakarta Post.

The platform made it all the way to the waters of Guam where he was picked up by a Panamanian-flagged ship, MV Arpeggio, on August 31, before it continued onto Tokuyama port in the Yamaguchi prefecture of Japan.

The coastline is not visible from the fishing rafts and the numerous rompong are miles apart, said Adilang's mother, Net Kahiking. Aldi's supplies of food, water and fuel had been meant to last him only a week. The minders, who earn $130 a month, communicate with fishing boats by hand-held radio.

"I was on the raft for one month and 18 days". "Aldi said he had been scared and often cried while adrift". When it didn't rain for days, "I had to soak my clothes in the sea, then I squeezed and drank the water".

Lighthizer hints Mexico pact may need to be reopened if delayed — NAFTA
Negotiations aimed at a new agreement have been underway for 13 months, but Canada and the USA remain at loggerheads. Trump has threatened to impose tariffs on Canadian cars if Canada does not come to an agreement with the U.S.

He said that he saw many ships during his time adrift and shouted in Indonesian and banged a can to attract attention. According to video posted by a crew member, Aldi's distress message - "Help Help Help" - reached the cargo ship's chief mate, Emmanuel Soriano, who informed the captain, Narciso Santillan - who ordered the ship to change course to carry out a rescue operation.

After his supplies ran out, Aldi begin catching fish from the sea and burning small portions of the rompong's wooden base to cook them on.

After arriving on September 6, Adilang was examined by the Japanese Coast Guard and declared healthy enough to return to his home country, the Indonesian foreign affairs ministry said. Adilang said he never thought he would meet his parents again. And even then he had to spend another night on the ship in quarantine as a precaution. Might be because I used the English word. Firdaus added that Aldi was driven to despair many times during his ordeal.

The ship radioed to the USA military base in Guam, who instructed them to keep their course towards Japan, where the young man could be handed over to his country's consulate.

The Indonesian Consulate in Osaka posted a statement on Facebook on September 14 saying that the young man was now back with his family in Manado and in "good condition".

Latest News