Australian man who swallowed slug on a dare dies at 28

Sam Ballard was a strapping rugby player before the devastating effects of the infection from a garden slug

Sam Ballard was a strapping rugby player before the devastating effects of the infection from a garden slug

'The conversation came up, "should I eat it?"

She also said she does not blame Sam's friends for the dare, and said they were just "being mates".

His friend Jimmy Galvin previously revealed that he swallowed the slug while at a party in 2010.

The unusual and sad case occurred because, along with the slug, Ballard had swallowed a parasite called Angiostrongylus cantonensis, commonly known as rat lungworm, which the slug likely picked up from rat droppings, according to the U.K.'s EveningStandard.

The disease sent him into a 420-day coma and when he woke up, he was quadriplegic.

"We have some sad news for you now".

Sam Ballard ate a slug as a dare in 2010.

"He contracted rat lung disease with devastating effects", Lisa told the show.

"His friends have stuck by him ever since".

Eight years after falling ill it was announced that Sam passed away on Friday, November 2. "And I said, 'No one gets sick from that.' He was scared, so you know, as a mum, all you want to do is reassure them".

Queen 'asks Meghan Markle mother Doria to Christmas at Sandringham'
The Queen's invitation would show respect and also acknowledge that Meghan, unlike Kate, has no other family in Britain, the source said.


Wilkinson penned her own tribute after meeting Sam earlier in the year.

He couldn't feed himself and needed help using the bathroom.

"So, you know he's there", Galvin said.

"When I walked in he was very, very gaunt, and there were cables everywhere - it was a big shock".

He later added: "We like to sit down and watch the footy and watch the rugby".

In 2011, Katie shared a post on Facebook, maintaining hope that her "rough-and-tumble Sam" would recover. "He spent the afternoon laughing at me as I read him the sports section of the newspaper with new glasses on".

"He is still the same cheeky Sam, and laughs a lot", she wrote. "It's huge. The impact is huge".

His eyes would always light up when they came around.

Katie applied to the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) in 2016 and Sam was granted a AUD $492,000 package.

Last September, without warning, the NDIS texted Ms Ballard to say a review of his plan had slashed his allocation to around £75,000. Media coverage and the family's fight for additional funding and care saw the decision reversed.

Latest News