Chris Dawson arrested and expected to be charged over his wife's murder

Chris Dawson

Former rugby player Chris Dawson arrested in cold case made famous by podcast

More details have emerged about the lead-up to this morning's arrest of Chris Dawson in relation to the suspected murder of his wife, Lynette Dawson.

The case came to prominence this year following The Australian's investigative podcast series, The Teacher's Pet.

The 33-year-old mother of two girls vanished from the couple's Bayview home on or around Saturday 9 January 1982.

As fans of the podcast will know, her husband Chris, a former rugby player and PE teacher at a local high school has always been suspected of involvement.

Mr Fuller said: "That information enabled New South Wales Police to get an arrest warrant for a 70-year-old man now living in Queensland".

Police have spoken to Lyn Dawson's family this morning, who are "relieved".

His arrest comes three years after detectives from the Homicide Squad's Unsolved Homicide Unit established Strike Force Scriven to re-investigate the circumstances surrounding Lynette's disappearance and suspected murder.

Lynette Dawson on her wedding day.

His family said they were "disappointed" at the decision of the DPP.

Former Cromer High School teacher Dawson - the subject of popular podcast The Teacher's Pet - was taken to Southport where he will be charged, with NSW detectives to seek an extradition.

Rudy Giuliani Accidently Lends Trump's Haters a Hand, Leaves Twitter Laughing
The URL was purchased and then used to send a single message about how they felt about the president, reading: " Donald J. Trump is a traitor to our country ". "Rudy didn't separate g-20 so ya boy bought the domain", that person said.

An inquest in 2003 found that Dawson, a former teacher, started an affair with a 16-year-old student who moved in with him days before his wife went missing.

Mick Fuller, the New South Wales police commissioner, recently apologised for police failings on the case during the 1980s.

Two coroners found Lyn was probably murdered by Mr Dawson in 1982, but he continued to deny his involvement, saying she had run off to join a "religious cult".

"There is clear and uncontested evidence that Lyn Dawson was alive long after she left Chris and their daughters", the statement said.

Following extensive investigations, detectives requested the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions review their brief of evidence in April this year.

Mr Fuller said finding Ms Dawson's remains was "not crucial to finalising the matter", however investigators had not given up hope of doing so.

"We're certainly hoping an interview with this 70-year-old man who's now in custody in Queensland will assist us with the outcome of where the body may be".

The Commander of the NSW Homicide Squad, Detective Superintendent Scott Cook, said Mr Dawson was "calm" but "taken aback" when he was taken into custody.

He said two witness statements in particular helped piece the evidence together.

"We have to also ensure Chris gets due process".

Latest News