A Canadian man who gunned down six people in a mosque in Quebec City in 2017 was sentenced to life in prison with no parole for 40 years, CTV reported on Friday.
The Crown has recommended that Bissonnette serve six consecutive sentences totalling 150 years, while the defence has argued he should be eligible for parole after 25 years.
"You killed six of your compatriots whose only crime was to be different than yourself", Huot said in court.
"With your hatred and racism, you've ruined their lives, yours and your parents', and the crime you've done deserves the greatest denunciation".
The justice said that in the years leading up to the shooting, Bissonnette increasingly drank alcohol and experienced anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts.
The attack at the Quebec Islamic Cultural Centre in the quiet Sainte-Foy neighbourhood of Canada's oldest city, he concluded, will go down in Canadian history "written in blood" as one of this country's worst tragedies.
The Criminal Code was amended in 2011 to allow a judge to impose consecutive sentences in cases of multiple murder, but it was clear as Huot spent almost six hours reading the decision that he was wrestling with the constitutionality of the provision.
Tokyo Olympic Games medals to be made from recycled electronic waste
The target for bronze was met last June, while the organisers had more than 90% of the gold and 85% of the silver by October. Around 47,488 tons of old devices had been collected by October past year , with more than 5m mobile phones handed over.
"It's very hard, I would imagine, to really find true closure on a day like today", she said, adding that people's hearts were with the families of the victims and the entire Quebec City mosque community.
"This was a very serious attack in a place of worship".
Alexandre Bissonnette, 29, pleaded guilty previous year to six counts of first-degree murder and six counts of attempted murder for the attack, a rare Canadian mass shooting, QNA said in a report.
Alexandre Bissonnette arrives at the court house in Quebec City, Quebec, Canada.
But she said people should understand that a sentence isn't about putting a numerical value on a person's life.
Witnesses said Bissonnette stormed the mosque during evening prayers on a Sunday and began firing indiscriminately into the crowd of men, women and children.
Bissonnette will be eligible for parole when he is 67. Six people were killed and 19 others were injured.
The victims were all dual nationals who emigrated to Canada over recent decades: two Algerians, two Guineans, a Moroccan and a Tunisian.