Turkey building collapse death toll rises to 17

Fears for 30 trapped in rubble of fallen Istanbul flats

Turkey building collapse death toll rises to 15

Earlier, health minister Fahrettin Koca increased the death toll to 17.

The seven-story building in Istanbul's Kartal district collapsed Wednesday for reasons as yet unknown, with 30 residents inside.

Mr Erdogan, visiting the site on Saturday, said: "We have a great number of lessons to learn from this".

"So far 14 of our fellow citizens have been lost and another 14 people have been brought out of the rubble alive", Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu told a news conference. He said rescuers had reached another person under the rubble, who was thought to be dead.

The death toll from the collapse of an apartment building in Istanbul rose to 17 as President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Saturday that authorities have "lessons to learn" from the incident.

Robert Whittaker Injured, Title Fight At UFC 234 Off
Originally billed as the co-main event, the Adesanya-Silva showdown was elevated to main event status, and it didn't disappoint. It continued a awful run of bad luck and health issues for 28-year-old Whittaker since he won the interim title in 2017.


A majority of buildings in Istanbul are "either unlicensed, illegal or were constructed without any engineering services", they added. It was not immediately clear what caused the building.

The collapse fuelled criticism of a government amnesty granted previous year to people accused of building illegally - a measure announced before municipal elections this March. Istanbul, Turkey's biggest city of more than 15 million people, is also located on a seismic belt. Five other relatives, including two children, are among the 13 people hospitalized in the collapse.

Rescue workers remain at the site and it is unclear how many more people are missing.

Turkish authorities said 43 people were registered as living in the building.

Latest News