Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein will leave the Department of Justice by the middle of March, according to a new report.
Citing unnamed administration officials, Fox News reported Monday night that not only has the time been set but that newly-confirmed Attorney General William Barr has chosen a replacement for the department's No. 2 slot.
Barr has already selected deputy transportation secretary Jeffrey Rosen as his deputy attorney general, an appointment that is likely to be announced soon.
He oversaw special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation after then-attorney general Jeff Sessions recused himself.
Sources close to Rosenstein told Fox he figured he would serve two years in his role, a milestone that is approaching after he took office in April 2017. Rosenstein has often been a target of President Trump on Twitter.
United Kingdom says Brexit defeat in parliament ‘a hiccup’
On Tuesday, Cox is due to set out what changes would be required to eliminate that risk. Of course we want a solution here.
In a TV interview on Sunday, former-acting Federal Bureau of Investigation chief Andrew McCabe said talks had been held in 2017 about invoking the 25th Amendment of the US Constitution that could remove a president deemed unfit.
The Justice official said Rosenstein's departure was not related to renewed allegations that he considered wearing a wire in meetings with Trump and using the 25th amendment of the U.S. Constitution to remove the president from office.
The Justice Department echoed both denials in a statement released last week, saying Rosenstein "was not in a position to consider invoking the 25th Amendment". He and Rod Rosenstein, who was hired by Jeff Sessions (another beauty), look like they were planning a very illegal act, and got caught.
President Trump reacted furiously to the interview, tweeting of "illegal and treasonous" behaviour and an "illegal coup attempt".