All American diplomats have left Venezuela, says Pompeo

26 January 2019 Venezuela Caracas Numerous demonstrators raise their hands in support of the self-proclaimed interim president Guaido at a rally of the opposition in the Venezuelan capital

Venezuela's Latest Nightmare: Crude Oil In The Tap Water

"Venezuelans have defeated this terror attack and we are now preparing to move forward", Maduro argued.

The giant USA flag was lowered at the sprawling hillside embassy shortly before the roughly 20 diplomatic personnel left for the airport Thursday morning.

The American flag flying outside the U.S. Embassy in the Venezuelan capital is lowered as the last remaining diplomats leave the country.

The Venezuelan National Assembly, dominated by the opposition, has declared a state of alarm over the blackout that the Maduro government blamed on a US cyber-attack and that plunged the struggling country into darkness and chaos for five days.

In his statement, Pompeo praised the diplomats on an emotional day as they abandoned the embassy.

Beto O'Rourke Announces His Run For President In 2020
Mr O'Rourke was little-known outside his hometown of El Paso until he challenged Republican Senator Ted Cruz past year . He visited with students in the key swing state of Wisconsin. "I think you'll see Republicans working a lot harder".


That could explain why, instead of dispatching crews to fix the problem, France24 reports that Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro is dispatching prosecutors to find and charge opposition leader Juan Guaido with sabotaging the country's grid system by causing a major explosion at the Guiado dam.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the diplomats will continue their "mission from other locations", and said that the situation is only temporary.

James Story, who was the top-ranking US diplomat in Venezuela, said in a video message that most Venezuelans don't support Maduro and that the government had used "the threat of armed gangs" against its people.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speaks during the release of the 2018 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices at the Department of State in Washington, March 13, 2019. Meanwhile, Venezuela's attorney general Tarek William Saab announced on Tuesday that he had launched an investigation into opposition leader Juan Guaidó over suspicions that he had been involved in the power blackout. The United States has imposed sanctions on Venezuela's oil industry as well as individuals linked to Maduro's government, and U.S. President Donald Trump has said "all options are on the table" in his administration's support for Guaido. US officials and Guaido said the allegation is absurd and that government corruption and mismanagement caused the infrastructure collapse in a country already suffering hyperinflation and shortages of basic goods. "The whole world knows who the saboteur is", he said.

Latest News