Federation Internationale de Football Association pushes ahead with 48-team World Cup, OKs new club event

FIFA mulls proposal for 24-team Club World Cup; Concacaf would get 3 slots

FIFA to go ahead with Club World Cup revamp despite opposition from Europe's top clubs

However, even before Friday's meeting of the ruling FIFA Council, Infantino was forced to drop the Nations League plan after his own task force found there was no consensus for such a tournament and a lack of space in the global calendar.

"We hope that all the greatest teams will participate", he said. No host nation has been decided yet, Infantino said.

The move away from the traditional 32 teams which will see 80 matches instead of 64 - the notion was originally slated to come into effect for the 2026 tournament in North America - means one or more other countries will be asked to help Qatar stage the shortened 28-day event which is scheduled to kick off in November 2022. If it happens, fantastic.

The United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and non-Gulf state Egypt cut political, trade, and transport ties with Qatar in June, 2017. "The best teams should have this world platform".

"We are following developments around the FIFA Council closely".

"We know the situation in the Gulf region", added Infantino.

According to a report from the Associated Press, the proposed expanded Club World Cup would be scheduled to take place in June 2021, in the slot where the Confederations Cup would have taken place.

'Club football is evolving at a different pace in different parts of the world and we want to have an exciting, prestigious and inclusive competition, and we'll have that with this Club World Cup, starting in 2021.

White supremacist charged with murder for New Zealand mosque attacks
The police said there were also multiple improvised explosive devices attached to vehicles as part of the attack. Christchurch schools were put in lockdown for several hours and residents told to stay off the streets.


ECA board members, including Manchester United's chief executive Ed Woodward, signed a letter expressing concerns, which was revealed earlier on Friday.

The stark message was handed to UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin from the European Club Association, which represents 232 of the continent's leading teams, and was sent via email on Tuesday, three days before the crucial meeting in Miami on Friday.

The announcement comes in the face of considerable opposition from European clubs.

The signatories said they are "firmly against any approval of a revised Club World Cup at this point in time and confirm that no ECA clubs would take part to such a competition". "We'll continue our discussions, but it's our responsibility today to take a decision and we have to deal with organization matters".

"The world will now see a real Club World Cup, where fans will see the best teams in the world compete to be crowned the real world champions", he added.

Barcelona President Josep Bartomeu backs a revamp of the competition, just not until the entire calendar for club and national team matches is reconfigured for 2024 and beyond to cope.

VAR made its World Cup debut at the men's tournament in Russian Federation past year.

Latest News